We may not know the exact release date for the next console from Microsoft, but that release date is certainly drawing closer, with many sources now considering October to be the month for the next generation of gaming. More and more rumors are starting to fly around, including a big suggestion that both the Xbox One and the PlayStation 4 are unlikely to be backwards compatible due to the new technology incorporated within the consoles. What does that mean for gamers? With the inability to pick up old Xbox 360 games to play, it’s even more important that Microsoft offers an incredible lineup of titles ready for the release of its next console. Unfortunately no one seems willing to give out a shortlist of the games that are likely to feature as the big releases with the next gen console, but we’ve made our best guess of some of the big titles that we expect to see released around the same time.
If you’ve been wondering what Bungie has been up to since dropping the Halo franchise you can wonder no more! The new first person shooter, Destiny, looks set for a release in early October, just about the time that we’re expecting the Xbox One to find its way onto our shelves. Although there will certainly be a version of Destiny for the Xbox 360, it’s clear that this is a game being developed for the next generation of gaming as well.
Ubisoft’s Watch Dogs is a game being closely watched by critics around the world. An open world action-adventure game; this title should pull in gameplay elements from many of our favorites from the developer. Manipulating technology to complete missions, jumping over buildings and fighting whenever its needed, Watch Dogs is a game that promises to offer a little bit of everything. Although Ubisoft hasn’t mentioned what consoles this game is being developed for, it has also described it as a ‘truly next-gen adventure’. Coincidence?
Call of Duty
There has been no lack of Call of Duty games in recent years, with Modern Warfare and Black Ops keeping us well and truly glued to our consoles. We don’t doubt that there’s something special being planned for the release of the Xbox One and the PlayStation 4, and with Modern Warfare 3 launched in November 2011, and Black Ops 2 in November 2012, it seems likely that we won’t need to wait for long for a next generation version of this FPS classic.
Star Wars 1313
When Star Wars 1313 was announced at E3 in 2012 its trailer did seem a little too good to be true when compared to the graphics of current generation consoles. Despite being dubbed as a game for Xbox and PlayStation, their demonstration used a high-spec PC to showcase its graphical prowess. With no release date given at E3, we strongly suspect that this is a title that won’t be appearing on current generation consoles, but will be saved purely for the Xbox One and PlayStation 4, along with PCs.
Could 343 Industries pull out all the stops to release Halo 5 ready for the launch of the Xbox One? It’d certainly be a title to get fans purchasing the next generation console. Although we don’t know much about Halo 5 at all, we do know that development on the title was started even before the release of Halo 4 so there is a chance that this game could be pushed as a launch title with the Xbox One. It would mean a release just one year after Halo 4 however, so we’re not sure this gives 343 Industries enough time to add polish to Master Chief’s helmet.
There are a multitude of other games that could be released with the Xbox One, along with an assortment of smaller titles available for download through Xbox Live. Which games would entice you to pick up this console? Will you be holding out for big releases before parting with your cash for the Xbox One?
Article by - Rebecca Waterman
Insert Date: 02/18/2013
Check out our forums and discuss Xbox games!
- WWE 2K14: What To Expect On The Xbox One
- Star Wars 1313: Step Away from the Lightsaber!
- Is Alan Wake 2 Xbox One Bound?
- What I Want From Fifa On Xbox One
- Looking to the Future of Far Cry – Where Will Ubisoft Take Us Next?
- Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 & The Future Of The Series On Xbox One
- What to Save Your Christmas Money for - 2013 Xbox Releases
- Panzer Dragoon: Can It Rise On The Xbox One?
- Dishonored 2 On The Xbox One
- The Future of Fable’s Fantasy
- The Resident Evil That's Made Its Home in Our Hearts
- Super Hero Games We Need On The Xbox One
- Half-Life 3 – To Be or Not to Be
- Forza 5 and Beyond - What Next for Microsoft's Motoring Monster?
- Next Generation Batman On The Xbox One
- Will We Ever See the Final Final Fantasy?
- Exploring Assassin's Creed - What Will the Future Hold?
- Will RARE Ever Bring These Games Back?
- The Future of Tomb Raider
- The Future of The Elder Scrolls
- The Future of Portal (Portal 3)
- Thoughts on Star Wars Kinect Game
- The Future of Mass Effect (Mass Effect 4)
- The Future of Call of Duty (CoD)
- What Next For the Gears of War Series?
- The Future of GTA
- The Future of Halo
- Review: Shenmue 3 for Xbox One: Will it ever be?!
- What Can We Expect from Early Xbox One Games?